Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Freaky Farm Accident


I went out to the barnyard to check on things, and to see if anybody was caught on the round bale strings. I paused to take in the beautiful sheep, goats and sunshine. The aroma of sun on warming hay was wonderful in the crisp, cold air. I said something to one of the sheep and suddenly heard a faint cry. Heard it again...but it sounded like it was coming from inside the round bale! How could this be? Was there a baby caught inside the round bale? Had it climbed on top then fallen inside? I pulled handfuls of hay away from the bale, but it was wound tightly as they usually are. How could something be inside? All the sheep gathered around, pushing on me, as if I was getting ready to feed them something. I kept pulling, walking around and around the bale to find the spot the baby had crawled/fallen into. But there was nothing! Then, to my horror, I realized there must be a baby UNDER the bale. Now, these bales weight 500 pounds, but this one had been partially eaten. I noticed it was not standing upright anymore. The big sheep must have pushed it over from the uphill side. I tried to lift it, not a budge. I've heard of round bales killing people, but not animals! My mind was racing as I heard more feeble cries. Mia is on her way, should I run in and call her and ask her to put the pedal to the metal? She's the strongest woman I know and maybe the two of us could do it. Sister Grace and Sister Bernadette are home, but Sister Grace is on dialysis and Sister Bernadette is a skinny little thing. I decided to do it myself. I got on the uphill side and put my back to it. I pushed with all my might...and pushed and pushed. It started to move. Funny, I could never do this when Matt and I are unloading round bales. But this was life or death. I kept pushing and flipped it back. I turned around to see a little pink sweater buried in the hay on the ground, then a purple sweater! There were TWO goat kids under the round bale! Mom came running up (she had been watching all this) and they started to wail. I put them down and they rushed under her to nurse. One little doe's legs are folded and stiff, and the other one is fine. I staggered in the house looking for my bottle of sherry, then grabbed my cold coffee cup instead. Can you imagine finding two little bodies when the bale was eaten down? I might never have missed them. This is the life of a shepherd, always watching and waiting for some disaster to happen and jump in to help. I really have to rethink this round bale business...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank heavens, and the shepardess goddess that you heard and found those 2 darlings! It sounds like they'll be fine, just need a bit of time to walk off the experience and warm up by snuggling with mom. Certainly hope so ......

Next year you shouldn't have to deal with the round bales. WE own the property. It will just be a matter of making sure that whoever does the cutting/baling this summer understands that you get (at least) half of each cutting. That should put you in good shape for both feeding and insulating.

By the way, do you have any bale strings? Remember, I'm still using them ........ Different colors will be great too. Just keep the babes from getting tied up!

Bless you for your heroic save :)

Chris Size said...

WOW! I would have done the same. If I couldn't have moved it...I would have dug until I found them...I wouldn't have been able to sleep thinking two babies were stuck.....they are so lucky to have you looking over them.....

Chris

Maggie's Farm said...

Thanks everybody! And thanks, Auntie Jan...it will be wonderful saying goodbye to round bales and stacking all that gorgeous hay in the mow for next winter!