Saturday, February 23, 2008

Surprise Rambouillet Lamb



We finished chores around 10 PM and were just about to return to the apt. when I noticed an odd looking lamb in the crowd around the hay bales. This lamb had droopy ears - then I noticed a cord hanging from it's navel and the Rambouillet ewe standing behind her. I realized one of my rescued girls had a lamb! She's absolutely beautiful, with a Madonna-like face. I call her Rambolina. Mom let us put her in the jug and take care of her baby. Don't know when she was born, sometime in the afternoon or evening I think. Fortunately, Auntie Jan just sent me a new big, long sweater in a lovely champagne color. It's perfect for little Miss Rambolina. I knew the Rambo girls had been with rams, but with all their shuffling around to their foster home then to me I didn't know if anything "took." I guess it did!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Breath-taking beautiful - both momma and Rambolina! What a wonderful surprise. And that momma would let you and Matt get close, take care of her lamb and then take that picture of baby next to mom's face ---------oh my ....

Now momma needs a name too .... hmmm.

:)

Maggie's Farm said...

I'm always open for names!

Kathleen said...

What will you breed the Rambouillet ewes to this year?

Maggie's Farm said...

I have a magnificent purebred Rambo ram, Horatio, and a purebred dark brown Merino ram. Can't decide between the two. Right now I am wondering what to do with the Rambo fiber which is a lot shorter than what I am used to from my BFL sheep. Does it made decent roving with any kind of draft? It's supposed to be very fine.

Anonymous said...

Cute lamb! Our lambing season started yesterday. A pretty BL ewe lamb. She's a bottle baby living in the house. Thankfully, she is a ewe, rams don't have the right "parts" to wear pampers!

Nathan's Farm said...

Thats awesome maggie i'm happy for you and your sheep how many ewes do you have?