Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Soft as a Gentle Breeze






The spirit of our friend Breeze is floating away to llama heaven. I called Dr. Rachel and she came right away. I felt I owed it to this old friend of the flock to end his suffering. Both back legs were gone and he couldn't move to check on his lambs, or come in from this awful icy rain. We all cried as the light in his eyes dimmed and his head laid down on the hay. Chris stood by and hummed "what's happening?" My heart aches for this big brother who doesn't know death or why his partner will be dragged away. Breeze will be sorely missed. I just thought I would have them both forever. I never realized how much a part of this farm Chris and Breeze are. Matt says we'll all be together again someday. Hard times on the farm.

11 comments:

Cornerstone Fibres said...

BIG HUGS to all!!! I'm so sorry for your loss but am proud of you that you helped him on his way so he's not suffering any more.

Anonymous said...

So sorry about Breeze!
Just started reading your blog the other day. My family is from Western NY, I have a white llama and fiber sheep. We live outside Louisville...funny coincidences.
Had to delurk and send my condolences.
Kristin

Maggie's Farm said...

Thank you both for caring enough to send your thoughts. I'm absolutely devastated about losing Breeze. Thirty brand new bouncing lambs can't ease the pain. It's going to take some time...

Anna said...

I am so sorry for your loss Maggie. Stay strong and hug your babies. Breeze had a wonderful life with you; you did right by him.

Anonymous said...

Breeze will be missed! I'm so sorry.
He was gorgeous and had some wicked llama personality!

The socklady said...

You are a very brave lady to not let your friend suffer.

The socklady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

When I can stop crying, I'm be able to smile remembering his dear sweet face and willingness to eat hay from my hand and turn his head when I called his name. He's in my prayers tonight, and always. My heart so wishes I could give you a hug, but it'll have to be a mental hug for now. Blessings sweety .....

Nathan's Farm said...

Maggie i'm so sorry. I'm sorry you had to do this but i'm sure he is looking down at you and saying thank you for not making me suffer. You made him live the best life a llma could and i will miss him dearly and if you need anytrhing let me know..love always NAthan and all the ones that thank you for giving us all care and love..

Anonymous said...

I can't beleive that, by reading your blog, you and your farm has become a part of me. I feel that I have lost a friend too. I am so sorry for your loss. Take care, Maggie.

Trish said...

From one upstate NY farmer to another-so sorry to read this. We've been through the same scenario a few times-it never gets easier. He had a great life with you.