Sunday, February 10, 2008

Blowing Snow and Cold


Cold, windy and snowy this Sunday morning. In the first light I discovered I locked Chris, Thunder and Dallas Alice out last night when I put the fence across the door. Could have been disastrous - Dallas is pregnant and the babies surely would have froze. Thunder was VERY upset, but happy when he saw me. He was sheltering behind and partially inside a round bale. He is a MFS (Most Favorite Sheep) and answers to his name. Someday I am going to write and self-publish a book called The Baby-Thunder Stories. I am running chapters in my mind constantly. All the tiny goat babies are alive, to my astonishment. Those goat mommies are amazing. They must be standing over the babies who can't stand up and letting them nurse. I've been running warm bottles out to them but they clamp their mouths down, as goat kids do, and are difficult to bottle feed. Once they get used to their mother's teat, forget it. Lambs switch back and forth easily. Valentine's Day next week. I put in a request for Body Shop White Musk spray cologne. I've been out for weeks and miss it alot. I've been using some sandalwood fragrance oil given to me by Katie the Science Teacher at work for soapmaking. It's very nice and really lasts. I haven't had any complaints, surprisingly! Back to the barn to tote endless jugs of warm water to the moms in pens. I'm afraid to let some of them out because they will go out in the snow to the round bales and the babies will undoubtedley follow them. Single digits coming - winter is back.

No comments: