Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Oh, What A Night





I staggered in from chores to find that Hillary took my home state of New Jersey. Thank the Goddesses! Matt made the mistake of telling me AJ and Mia voted for Obama. WHAT!!! After being raised by a single mother (me) they voted for a MAN??? Okay, okay, calm down. #1 - they voted. #2 - they voted for a Democratic. Why not Hillary? Why won't the young people vote for her? My guess is that she reminds them of their mother. But is Obama so exciting? He doesn't do anything for me. Flash in the pan. The night is young, we'll see what happens...The new twins born tonight are all ewe lambs! Oh, joy! Moms are doing fine, babies are lively. I am beyond exhausted. Matt is acting up, the way most husbands do during lambing. He met me at the door with statements like, "I have a splitting HEADACHE!!" (Did you take anything for it - no.) "I am HUNGRY!! The only thing I have eated ALL DAY is peanut butter and jelly!!" (Is that my fault?) "I am so DINGY (?) from no SLEEP" I only got an HOUR and a HALF of SLEEP last NIGHT!!" (Why didn't you help me take the ram out last summer?) On and on. I usually just let him carry on for a while. I make him his delicious hot meal and that brings him around. He did help me with the lambs and the jugs. I have nine pens with mothers and lambs operating now. Each require buckets of water and fresh hay. I carried countless gallon jugs of warm molasses water from the milk room to spots all over the outer barn. Then I come back to find some random sheep have squeezed through the fence and stolen the delicious nutritious drink from the mothers! The little lambs have to monitored constantly - tummies checked, mouths checked (a cold mouth means chilled lamb which is deadly)and watched for escapees from the jugs. A newborn ewe lamb squeezed through the fence and went outside in the wet mud behind the barn tonight. We came back from voting, counted heads and one was missing. Lambing is when the shepherd shows her stuff. Sheepless people just don't and can't understand. I think my co-workers have an idea since many of them come from farmer families, but nobody there is in a situation quite like mine...meaning they are not candidates for the lunatic asylum like me.

1 comment:

miaaviva said...

mommie,
not voting for hillary has nothing to do with you ! we always say how lucky we are to have you as a mom, and aj wasn't supposed to tell you who i voted for! ugg. I can't trust anyone!