Sunday, April 07, 2013

Walking

Decided to take the doggies on an early morning walk to the backside of my land.  I usually go straight up the hill, good to get my heart pounding, good to wear out the dogs so they leave me alone when I want to work, and good to take in such lovely views.   Everything is brown and gray but there are little tips of green grass here and there.  The stream coming down from the ridge is flowing from the snow melt.   The land is mushy and marshy there, duck party land, but it rises up to hard rocky soil with big shale outcroppings perfect for goats to romp and play on.  re is a cistern constructed by the former dairy farmers that is always filled with clear spring water.  Mushy land is not good for goats and sheep as we always have to be concerned about the deadly meningeal worm carried by snails in wet areas.  Rocky land is perfect for goats as it keeps their hooves trimmed and they love to eat the small shrubby bushes growing in that type of soil.  I intend to fence in the back land for goats and keep the sheep separate on the hillside.  There is also a lovely, large hawthorne grove that will shelter the goats in hot weather.  I love my land - I don't have a lot of it compared to other farms around here, but compared to the tiny lot I had in New Jersey, I am truly land rich, and it has so much beauty and character.  It is so varied and has so many ups and downs,  nooks and crannies that are artsy and interesting.  I found a tall tree with hundreds of tiny pine cones on the ground underneath it.  Fascinating to me as I didn't know a tree other than pines makes cones!  I'll make lots of holiday wreaths with my art students next fall.  Have to find my field guide... I took a good look at the back of the barn.  It needs so much work, and will take the rest of my life time to get it in shape, but it is a worthy effort.   On deck for today - Lemongrass Soap.  I made a big batch of Rosemary last night, separating some for Unscented Honey Oatmeal for a special customer in New Jersey who won't use anything else.  I have two really beautiful nubby tweed messenger totes finished,  and two more on the machine.  I'm beginning to think I will be okay in Maryland.  I will have too much wool, too much soap, an adequate amount of Shepherd's Friend Hand Creme (which costs a fortune to make, like the soap) and, hopefully, a hefty basket of hand spun yarn if my friend Kimmie Cornerstone is running that Louet up there in Canada.  The knitting bags will be outstanding, provided my animals, my teaching job, and my health cooperate.  God willing and the creek don't rise...



1 comment:

Kirsten said...

Hi Maggie,

Can hardly believe that Maryland Sheep and Wool is 3 weeks from this coming weekend.

As always look forward to seeing what you have --especially balls of lovely fiber to spin.

Will you be having any patchouli hand creme?

Kirsten