Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Random Thoughts

No matter how serious my problems seem at times, at least my legs haven't been blown off.  My farm would be in big trouble if I had no legs.  There would be no going to Maryland Sheep and Wool in two short weeks.  No walks up the lovely hill that is my farm with the dogs to play in the pond, like we did a few minutes ago.  It goes on and on.  Tonight I'm thankful for many things.  Just a few, in no particular order, are listed below:

1.  Two students I worked with the first half of the year before I became full time art teacher have finally been awarded their GED diplomas.  They stuck with it after several failing scores.  Now the world is their stage and I applaud them.  They both came to my art room to hug me and tell me the good news.  That means the world to me. 

2.  There is green grass coming up all over the hill.  I can't wait to let the whole flock out to enjoy it.  No more marginal hay purchased at a local farm that is saving it's "good hay" for the cows.  There is nothing, I mean nothing, (besides fresh green grass) like my own hay, grown on my own land.  The sheep like it best.   When the sheep are happy, I am happy.

3.  I am thankful for good health.  I feel pretty good.  The broken leg, broken foot and sprained ankle all like to say hello now and then, but I can still climb the big hill with the doggies pulling me along, and climb the hay mow ladders every night.  BP is down, weight is not.  If only my belly was as tight as my behind, but, hey, we can't have everything.

4.  School is going well.  There are "incidents" every day but it's been a while since I have come home absolutely devastated by events at school.  May it stay that way.

5.  My bio-kids are healthy and happy.  The are all successful professionals and enjoying their work.  All three are public servants and giving back in many ways.  None of them are being paid what they deserve, but such is life. 

6.  I am thankful for my friends.  I have so much help getting ready for Maryland Sheep and Wool - the big show that took me five years of applying to get into - that I know it will be a fantastic year.  I just received a big box of gorgeous designer hand knitted, felted and embellished hand bags from Carol Crayonbox.  I will take them to Maryland to decorate my booth.  Each one is made from hand spun yarn, much of it from my flock, and has incredibly intricate insides.   My friend Sharon at school is wrapping a ton of soap for me, which frees me up to sew bags and make hand creme.  Their help means so much.

7.  I am thankful for my farm.  I am so far away from the city and the dangers therein.  The land is very beautiful and I draw strength from it.  My animals are amazing and enrich my life in so many ways I can't describe.  I am a very lucky girl. 

It's out to chores, like I do every night after our walk up the hill, after dinner and the evening news.   I'll come back inside and sew on a Bundaflicka tote.  They are simple, no-nonsense and strong, kind of like me.  When life gives you a heavy load, sew totes to carry it around in.

No comments: