Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Turning Out the Totes

Smoke is pouring out of my sewing machine.  A new crop of Bundaflicka Totes is hanging from the rafters.  I think I've done almost 25 in the last month or so.  Some are sold already but I'll have a decent showing at the upcoming Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival.  The totes I bring home will go to the Hamilton Farmer's Market the week after.  I never get tired of sewing them.  I have a stack cut out which makes it easier to put one together at night when I come in from chores, like right now.  I have stacks of beautiful fabric thanks to my personal fabric shopper, Carol of Crayonbox Designs near Ithaca.  It's important to have a significant stash for when I need a certain color lining, etc.  I could change the three main designs I make, but they work so well, and customers love the easy access interiors with all the pockets.  I'm using sheep horn buttons Kim makes, or glass fired buttons by Diane Edwards of Sweet Annie Handspun, or my own polymer clay buttons.  This year's bags have all three.  Some of my totes have no buttons at all, like the Messenger style and the snap frame.  I think I'll sew a bit now.  It's cold enough at night to light the stove.  I love to sew with a little smoldering fire nearby.  Lemon ginger tea with honey helps, too.



No comments: