Thursday, October 18, 2012

Tender Mercies

I took a break from loading up for Rhinebeck to do chores.  Thought I heard something going on at the back of the barn but went about my business.  I threw hay down the far hole then climbed down to stack the feeding pens.  There they were - a pair of hefty, healthy babies staring me right in the face.  Almost rubbed my eyes as I thought I must be hallucinating, but they were real.  Didn't see mom at first, only goats munching on the hay I put out.  Uh-oh, I'm really in trouble I thought.  But no, there she was, big fat ewe - no wonder I didn't realize she was pregnant.  My mind was spinning.  Where to put them, do I have racks for a pen, buckets, where's my newborn kit, etc., etc.  Stuff is everywhere, the place is a wreck.  So much to do...but babies come from heaven (and my very eager Zack - Border Leicester ram) and I must see to them before anything else.  Two hours later I have them all sorted out, with Matt's help.  Thankfully Matt is home with them this weekend and will keep an eye on the babies until I get back.  Mom is not happy about being penned in the forward part of the barn where the maternity ward is.  She gave birth to them in the back where it's private, but I already had this pen set up and there she had to go, with the three week old girls and their mom.   I hate to leave them but duty calls and I must support them.  Luckily everybody loves the hay I'm putting out now.  Good hay along with a little grain makes good milk for babies.  Now it's late and I'm way behind.  What to do first.  Oh, how I love the sound of newborns in the barn.  I can hardly stand not being out there with them.  Zack is a full-bodied ram with a fantastic thick coat of wool and a sweet disposition.  I bought him from a 4-H family in Maryland two years ago.  I've never had fall lambs prior to this year.  I can thank Zack and lots of good green grass.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hope you and your critters, including the twins, are snug and set for whatever weather is coming this week.