Monday, October 29, 2012

Raw Fleeces

I finally got raw fleeces ready to bring to Rhinebeck this year.  They all sold without even trying.  Guess who is kicking herself for not bringing wool right off the sheep in previous years.   I am still planning on getting coats on my black sheep to prevent sunburned tips.  Now is the time to do it as they were recently shorn.  It's not as easy as you think.  I have to get a couple of guys to catch and hold them for me while I fit the coats properly and put them on.  It is well worth the trouble.  White wool sells better if it is dyed in bright colors and carded.  Black carded wool is not very popular, but black raw fleeces are.  I don't quite understand it, but that's okay.  I do have to remember to put names on the fleeces as the customers wanted to know who was donating the wool. 

No comments: