Saturday, October 06, 2012

Rain All Weekend

So glad this week is over.  Not that my job is all that difficult, but combined with the commuting, farm, running errands, etc. I get a little tired.  Matt has been building two weatherization training houses, in Albany and Buffalo, for community colleges to use with students.  He makes it home on weekends and is a big help when he's here.  The new Bluefaced Leicester/Border Leicester lambs are doing fine.  Mama wants out of the pen but I won't do it.  Those little ones would surely be trampled by the big ones.  We're shearing on Monday, Glory Be!  I sold a raw fleece at Fingerlakes and that's inspired me to work harder on making them part of my booth.  Had to shut the sheep in the barn this morning as a cold rain is falling out there.  Missed another market  day.  Ouch.  I have to put out hay but all I have in the barn is the first cut round bales.  I was wondering how in the world to put them out for the sheep without the proper equipment  but found the hay comes apart in my hands when I cut the netting off.  The big door at the end of the barn is broken and sits at an outward angle.  That has to be fixed before the snow flies.  I found a large older doe dead in the back of the barn.  Wondered why she was sleeping in the same spot for two nights in a row and went to inspect.  With the hot weather last week I had a heck of a time getting her out this morning.  Luckily her limbs held together on the way out.  My Shepherd's Friend Hand Creme has a new purpose - rubbing on/under/up my nose when performing grizzly tasks.  The cool, cleansing rain helped too.  I hate to lose my little friends, but I have the newborns to cuddle and love on to make me feel better.  The circle of life goes round and round.  Looking forward to shearing on Monday...Big Jim Baldwin is coming from Freeville.  Hope he brings me some of his lovely Merino fleeces.  Former students coming to help round up critters and Matt will be home for Columbus Day.  Will pick up supplies today.  I have a big batch of lavender soap to cut up and put out to cure, with several bags cut out to sew this weekend.  Never enough time in the day.

No comments: