Thursday, September 20, 2012

My Own Crayonbox Tote

I have been lusting after this tote for a very long time.  Carol Crayonbox from Freevile trades fabric with me for my Mother Fiber and spins it into yarn for her bags.  The process is long and labor intensive.  After spinning Carol knits long strips of geometric designs, sometimes triangles or squares of many colors and shades.  She then sews the strips together with thread into a bag.  Carol felts the bag by hand by washing and rubbing it in the sink.  This is a tricky process as the different fibers (especially with my wool-angora-mohair blends) felt at different stages.  When Carol is satisfied with the felting she constructs a lining with intricate pieced designs and sews it to the inside of the knitted bag.  Leather handles and a snap frame is then added for easy access to your goods.   I have taken Carol's bags to shows to sell for her, often thinking how I would love to bring one home for myself.  Customers always take them instead.  With my milestone birthday coming up, I decided this one is finally for me.  Carol has evolved past this type of bag, opting for a different felting process with machine quilting on top.  I got my bag in the nick of time I think.

1 comment:

MMD said...

Beautiful bag!