Friday, September 21, 2012

Death and Rain

Oh, what a day.  As I was running for the truck my ancient wether Rambo teetered and fell over dead.  I had been watching him weaken over a period of days, but having to go to work every day and no one to help me catch him and doctor him, I let it go.  I figured nature was getting the best of him.  Poor guy.  His owner had sold her farm and taken off in a Winnebago, leaving her flock of Rambos with a foster shepherd in Fort Plain.  They got tired of them and the farmer wanted to put pigs in their pen.  I took half of them, as they are magnificent sheep, and dearly loved my ram Horatio, who passed a couple of years ago.  Miss Mamie is now the last of the Rambos, with her twin boys Rudolpho and Marcello.  Thankfully it was not she who fell over dead.  I think the boys would be okay now but having a mom to look after twin lambs is always preferable.  R. is so attached to me that he leaps for joy when he hears my voice and downs his night-night bottle all at once, with mom waiting patiently for him to return to his side.  I'm going out now to try and get the wool off the dead Rambo as I can't stand to let it go.  I would like to practice shearing him as I have a pair of Andies shears, never used, in the box, but don't know how to insert the comb and cutter in the device.  Libby Llop says to pull the wool out.  I'll see how that goes first.  Maybe some whiskey in my gut would help me along.  It was the kind of day in school to send me to the bottle.  My art activity of the day was stained glass windows with construction paper and colored tissue paper.  The first class was so wild they....well, it's not professional to report exactly what goes on in school but suffice it to say it was almost more than I can or want to take.  It's not only throwing my art supplies across the room but the anger and profanity that goes with it.  Somehow we managed to get the windows on the window, with the help of two wonderful aides who are very brave and supportive to me.  The market weather forecast for tomorrow is 80% chance of rain with blustery breezes and thunderstorms.  Sounds like a good day to fall back and regroup...and to hug a lamb. 

No comments: