Friday, July 13, 2012

Flying By

I am amazed at how quickly the summer days are rolling by.  Wish I could slow them down and preserve all the precious moments.  Sitting between my kidlets at the movies yesterday was one of them.  It was my turn to pick the movie and I chose Moonrise Kingdom with too many big stars to mention.  It was a beautiful, thoughtful movie and I loved it.  The kids were not so crazy about it and I think I know why.  Firstly, it was the opposite of the action movies they love, although it did have a lot of action, but it touched on some tender themes.  There were families dealing with many issues including young love, marital discord, loneliness and alienation.  These are all themes one might avoid when taking grandchildren who are moving from one section of the country to another, and missing their parents, to the movies.  I saw Boy Scouts, teenagers, camping and flying on the trailer and thought it would be okay.  It was okay, after dinner at Panera and coming home to find a hillside covered with round bales to engage us.  When it was late and dark we started missing Mommy and Daddy and I totally understand.  Today will be very busy despite the oppressive heat.  We have to move a hay stack in order to roll 50 round bales into the barn tonight.  They are beautiful bales and I don't want them to get rained on if I can help it.  Julia's son will move them down to the barn one at a time and drop them but it's up to us to roll them to the back of the barn.  Hot work that will take all of us, if it can be done at all.  I have this giant barn and would like to take advantage of it.  We'll see how it goes.  Have to move the hay stack first.  Lukie has this wonderful "can do" attitude.  He's a one man Army, if only the flesh could follow the heart!

No comments: