Friday, July 15, 2011

Halfway Through July


July is racing by. The glorious weather continues. What a full moon we had last night, with lacy clouds stretched over the glowing orb like strands of silk. I asked the kids if they wanted a campfire but they said no thanks. We'll have one tonight to celebrate the weekend. I love to sit under the stars and stare into the flames. Having the kidlets here to run around and collect wood is great. They have very relaxing days, sleeping late, watching TV, reading books, with all the goodies their tummies can hold, but when chore time rolls around Sergeant Omi cracks the whip. Luke doesn't like it when I have to poke and prod his big sister to turn off the crime mystery TV shows and get out into the barn. He's very protective of her and says I should be easier on her because, "they make her run five miles in gym class at school." I told him that makes Hannah stronger and happier, but he doesn't agree. Hannah is incredibly strong. A large garbage can full of wet manure and hay is really heavy, and it was all I could do to hold up my side and get it out of the barn and up the hill to the compost pile. I had to ask Hannah to slow down. We are picking away at the manure pack on the floor of the barn. This huge barn is wonderful, but impossible to keep clean without machines. Speaking of machines, Stan is up the hill knocking down my chin-high grass to make round bales. I'm thrilled. He's doing it on shares, meaning he takes half for his trouble. Fine with me. I'll get the other half to save for winter. We'll be able to get to the pond without bushwacking with a machete, and we won't break our legs stepping in wood chuck holes we can't see. With this fabulous run of hot weather there will be barns full of hay all over upstate New York to get us through the long, freezing cold winter ahead. If we don't get hit by a run of hurricanes coming up the coast in August we might get a second cut. Won't that be fabulous. I know better than to get my hopes up. Expect the worst, hope for the best. That's life on the farm.

1 comment:

Penny said...

Hope for the best, Expect the worst and you won't be disappointed. Has been my motto for years. ;^)

Have fun and make many memories with your grands!