Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Pigs in a Poke





My ride home is so beautiful, with lovely old farms and grand views. Very foggy this afternoon, with the warm air meeting the cold ground. The great snowcone is melting exposing the slick sheet of ice below. The driveway is very tricky but the old Jeep goes up and down just fine. It's walking on it with feet that is problematic. If only I had four feet, not two.

I talked to Candace today. She tells me her sheep are doing fine but all have the runs, something I suspected would happen with the rich hay and sheep feed they are eating now. Mary came and took her sheep today while I was at work. They'll be eating some delicious hay themselves tonight. While Mary was here she helped Matt load the piggies in her trailer for the one way trip to heaven. Thank Goodness, as Matt says he could never have done it himself. The smart porkers got as far as the door then saw the milk room steps and said no way. They gently slid the pigs down the stairs on their backs, then got them in Mary's trailer with corn. Matt said they chowed down on the corn all the way to Larry's Custom Meats, a family operation recommended by Mary where the animals are treated gently and with respect. This is the first time I raised my own meat for food, and it was way too easy. The pigs were so beautiful, sleek and pink with a covering of silvery white hair. I'll miss their squeals and chortles while doing chores in the barn. Izzy will miss playing catch with them up and down their corridor. Matt ordered all kinds of sausage, chops and roasts. I told my student at school, who got me into this piggy situation, that they were gone and he immediately started working on me to buy more piglets he has for sale. I said, no, thanks, not right now.

2 comments:

Cornerstone Fibres said...

Glad they loaded with no troubles -the kids still tell the tale of mom vs the pissed off sow. Mom 1 - Pig -0.
Of course mom was not going to run from 400+lbs of ticked off big and had a wicked piece of firewood in her hand at the time :) But oh man can those things MOVE!!!!

HUGS to all
Kim and crew

Anonymous said...

mags - throw some of your ashes from your wood stove on the driveway. My dad keeps a bucket of them...certainly has saved me from breaking my face falling down a time to two. Just an idea.