Saturday, February 28, 2009

Day Flying By


We managed to get out in time to get the mail in town on the way to Louis Gale's feed mill. I get cracked corn and egg layer in 100 sacks at 50% savings from all other places around here. Waterville is closer to New Hartford than we are so I asked Matt if we run up there. I needed Sculpey and Fimo clay for bag buttons and thread from Jo-Ann's. I get a discount there with my teacher's union card. I go through thread like crazy, and when the doggies get a spool and chew it up I am extremely annoyed. One bite and it won't unroll right. Anyway, the weather is bright and beautiful, cold and crisp, and it was a perfect day for a ride. I ducked into B&N and was happy to find my February British Country Living. It's full of bulb planting, pig raising and nifty recipes on how to use those bits of leftover cheese from the Welsh Farmhouse section. She's the lady who plucks her own pheasants before roasting them...something I have thought about with my little Olde English chickens (and decided against). I bought Matt the latest Fine Homebuilding which has energy saving building articles that he can talk about in the office. He's so into his new career at NY State Weatherization, and very excited about teaching at the Allen Center, a juvenile corrections facility, next week, with the intention of taking some graduates into the weatherization field. He's a little overwhelmed, with four new trainers he has to train. The Obama admin. has increased the NY State weatherization budget from $100 million to $500 million. Now they have to use their windfall or lose it, and that takes planning. I could use some weatherization on this barn, but we make too much money to qualify. Next week the time changes again, signalling the arrival of spring. The time will fly and I'll be lying on my back in the middle of my hill soon, star gazing with sheep all around me. What heaven. Speaking of sheep, I'm needed in the barn.

No comments: