Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Not the Best 24 Hours


Having a terrible time getting used to being back at work...and events around the farm aren't helping. I forgot to turn off the water heater when I put my black pants in the dryer to get the cat/dog hair off, and blew the circuit. The electric in the barn is funky at best, and I should have known, but I was in an awful hurry to get to work on time on the first day. I was the last one in the parking lot, which was full with staff from satellite facilities, and had to park on the new lawn. I ran into my wing which was as empty of living people as a cemetery. Did I have the wrong day? Was I an unwilling participant of a Twilight Zone episode??? (remember I am a 50's kid). I found the crowd in the massive new cafeteria, listening to a speech by the Superintendent. Just what I love - tiptoeing in late in front of a crowd - but so typical of me. I couldn't easily explain that I was dripping molasses oatmeal into the mouth of a sick doe I was desperate not to lose. She could lift her head up but not stand. Leaving her, and all the other cast of thousands, was not easy. Meetings all day, not so bad, and it was great to see my friends. Home again to clean up doggie messes, walk them, lug water through the barn to the thirsty rams in the back of the barn, throw bales out to them, check on my sick goat, etc., and over to Jan's pole barn to see the new concrete floor. Back to the blown circuit...I couldn't draw water to fill the stock tanks and the dozen or so gallon jugs. Luckily I had some big plastic Jerry cans filled or no water for the thirsty rams and bucks. When Matt came home at 6:30 I asked him to fix the electric, which he did, then he went out to watch the sheep graze and read the paper. I watched the evening news, then went out to fill the big stock tank now that the electric was fixed and the well pump would run - and, to my horror, saw the flood. I had opened the spicket and forgot to close it when there was no water. Matt didn't think to check it when he turned the electric back on. It took two hours for me to push/sweep a whole corridor of water into the milk room into the already clogged up drain. I was so depressed, standing ankle deep in cold poop water, with Matt in bed and my kittens lapping the nasty water. I kept thinking I should be sewing bags, wrapping soap, picking wool, etc., but here I was - wasting time over a silly mistake. I fed my sick goat her molasses/oatmeal elixir, gave her all kinds of medicine, and tried to get her to eat some hay. I fell on the sofa at 11 and watched an old Arnold Schwartzenegger movie, which, I admit, did cheer me up a bit. Oh, he is so gooorrrrgeous - and a good actor I think. I didn't sleep well at all and went out this morning to find my little doe goat dead. I left for work in a fog. Fortunately things at work went well...Gretchen had bread cooking in her bread machine in her classroom! How brilliant! The luscious aroma filled our wing and helped everyone's outlook. There was a lot of confusion about many things, but the smell of that bread, and the coffee that went with it helped me quite a bit. Home to find Mr. Spooner wanting money for twine and diesel for the hay he is baling for me. There has been a good chunk of the field ready to bale since yesterday, but he only baled his half and left mine on the ground.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

the kitty on the left is my favorite. That cat is spunky!
See you tomorrow...only 179 more days!

Cornerstone Fibres said...

Sending up hugs, prayers, good thoughts and wishes to you!!!
You're pretty darn amazing!!

miaaviva said...

i think that i was switched at birth! you are the toughest lady around! oxoxoxoxo

Kathleen said...

Life can be a bummer sometimes, but usually, when a little life is sadly extinguished, another amazingly sparks!

Keep your chin up, dear. Tomorrow the sun will shine again.

Anonymous said...

how are you going to feed all of your sheep this year with little hay like last year?