Sunday, May 11, 2008

Hamilton Farmer's Market


It's Farmer's Market time again...my summer job. I tried to get the same space as last year, but it was taken. So were all the others - they sold out before I got there. Luckily they decided to open 8 more spaces and I got one of them. The weather was spectacular yesterday. I got up at 5:30 to load up, still tired from Maryland and the 5 day work week. I arrived in Hamilton in plenty of time, but there was some discussion about where my space actually is. There was a giant food booth set up in the space I thought I had, complete with a large portable barbecue the size of a Volkswagen. The "Monitor," Chris, came around and told me I was to set up right next to the big oven. Hah! I would be barbecue myself when the weather turns 90 plus. I took it on myself to move to another spot closer to the fountain on the main sidewalk. When the supervisor came around and told me I had to move two spaces away from the food guy, I pleaded sheep. Who else has almost 200 sheep and goat mouths to feed? I am the quintessential poster child of the farmer's market...besides, people love to watch me spin. She said she loved to watch me spin, too, and would let me stay on the main sidewalk but I had to move over one space. That I could handle. I guess my old funky Louet spinning wheel, along with some begging, helped. The patrons wandered in and I earned enough to pay for my space. Next weekend Colgate Univ. is having their graduation and there should be some good crowds. Rain is forecast but I will keep my fingers and toes crossed. I have a pop-up that is a real pain to put up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about last year's space being taken! What a pain. So will the distance between parking and the space be about the same? shorter? longer? Geez! I'm surprised they've started the farmer's market already - who has any crop ready for sale? Anyway, hang in there. Can Matt help during the market or will he have to stay with the sheep and other critters? Wish I could be there to help! It's killin' me not to there ...

Kathleen said...

You know, when I was in Cheyenne, rain or snow or whatever weather there was never stopped the people from shopping at the farmers' market. Fresh produce and freshly baked bread always made people turn out in droves. After getting our week's worth of bread and veggies, we all spread out to see what other goodies there were to buy.