Wednesday, June 13, 2007

At Long Last...


I couldn't wait any longer. The bathroom is not finished, but today Matt hooked up the 1929 cast iron claw foot bath tub and I had to get in it. He found it in an old house on the Delaware he was refurbishing for a Stevens Institute professor. It was up a flight of stairs and his two carpenter helpers were reluctant to try and get it down. If someone lets go and the tub gets away from them somebody gets run over. They wanted to put on safety glasses and smash it up with sledge hammers. Matt said no way, he was taking this home. His intention was to use it as a livestock watering tank. It sat in our driveway with frogs living in it for several years. Now I will be living in it. I found some lavender bubble bath and soaked away the sweat and grime of the working day. When blizzards are raging outside I will be warming my bones in it. Hannah and Luke will play with their toys in this tub. It's found a grateful home with us.

4 comments:

Leslie Shelor said...

Wonderful that you rescued it! When I was a kid there was one of these in the house my dad had in Stuart; I loved lounging in it. Modern tubs just aren't the same!

ellen said...

Total envy! I haven't had a soak for almost a year--my house has really disfunctional plumbing, and the 70 year old tub is too nasty to contemplate. Re-doing the bathroom is the one big-ticket renovation I'll be doing here, but it's years down the road.

miaaviva said...

wow.. i think that i am just as happy as you about the tub mommie!!! WHAT A CUTE PICTURE.. makes me so happy that you finally get a soak!!
OXOXOXO
MISS YOU

miaaviva said...

mommy, check out jennyƤs blog.. americancynicinparis.blogspot.com too..oxoxox