Friday, June 11, 2010

Women on Horses


I still harbor a girlhood fantasy...I'm National Velvet, on my horse, winning the big race against all odds. The horse ownership fantasy has not yet happened, but I have the neatest, coolest, horsey friends. They are brave, courageous women who do incredible things on horses - Libby Llop who is nationally ranked in 100 and 50 mile endurance races, Shepherd Mary who rode her pony across Ireland and Nova Scotia, and Sherry Morse who is on horseback more than her feet are on solid ground. I met Sherry at the College of St. Elizabeth where she was on the Equestrian team. Mary is my sheep friend here in Brookfield and Libby is a member of the Genessee Valley Handspinners. Libby's birthday is today. She's on her way to Virginia with her Arab mare, Fly So Free, to ride in the Old Dominion endurance race. Libby and Fly will "fly" over 100 miles to take the prize. I'm in awe of her and will continue to fantasize about resting these old bones on the back of a horse. Libby's bones are almost as old as mine, which makes me admire her even more. In the meantime, Hannah, the next horsewoman in my life, is coming in three weeks. I plan to have her on horseback every waking minute of her visit, or nearly. Hannah has a fabulous seat, unlike her Omi, and has no fear of size or speed. I think that comes from holding on to her Daddy's motorcycle sissy bar as early as she could sit up.

No comments: