Monday, June 14, 2010

Turtle Talk



When I was driving to the Brookfield Post Office after school to pick up my mail I saw a wood turtle (I think) about to cross the road. Other than snappers this is the first turtle sighting in Brookfield for me. I was worried the pesticides farmers put on their fields was causing a decline in the turtle population the way it is in New Jersey. What a thrill to see a turtle in the wild (other than the feisty snappers). I stopped and picked up the little turtle and was momentarily tempted to take it home to my land. Then I thought, what if it wouldn't be happy on my farm, what if it has friends here, or eggs that will hatch soon, on and on. I really don't know a whole lot about turtles, and was reluctant to tamper with Mother Nature. I helped the turtle across the road, took a picture and went on my way.

No comments: