Sunday, June 24, 2007

Auntie Jan Comes to Visit


My dear friend Jan came to visit for the weekend. She arrived shortly after I got home from work on Friday. Jan and I worked in the Special Ed. dept at Voorhees High School together before I moved north. We went to the Friday Fish Fry at Remember When in New Berlin. Two Miami Dade Metro cops opened it a few years ago and what a terrific place to eat, replete with stained glass lighting and antiques. They renovated the old Chase Memorial Hospital where many locals were born, including my neighbor, Chris Kupris. (His other siblings were born in the kitchen of the farmhouse.) Jan helped me at the Hamilton Farmer's Market on Saturday where we enjoyed gloriously cool, breezy weather. Business is picking up, with people coming back to buy things they saw the week before. I sold two bags, which did a lot to beef up the grand total for the day. Money is a concern, not only because I am unemployed for the summer, but the fact that New York State won't consider my farm a farm unless it makes $10,000 a year. Yeah, you get the picture. In New Jersey a farm only has to make $500! You can do that selling a few cords or wood, or Christmas trees on the roadside. So I am always under pressure to produce. We took the doggies up to the pond for a swim, always so much fun. Tanner and Holly are now good swimmers, chasing down Bodie in the water for the ball. Bodie is very skilled at snagging it and the puppies get frustrated and try to knock it out of his mouth. They had us laughing and shaking off all the frustrations of work, money, farm, etc. Jan made us corn salsa and fruit salad for dinner, what a treat. We sat in front of the TV skirting fleeces while watching M. Night Shymalamadingdong's "Lady in the Water." I am a "Signs" fan and have been disappointed with his films every since...but the loveliness of the day and happiness at having a friend visit made up for any shortcomings. The doggies enjoyed pouncing on Jan's fancy dancy blow up bed from Linen's and Things. You plug it in, press a button, and a full size bed opens up before your eyes. I just hope a doggie claw doesn't deflate the thing before she leaves!

No comments: