Thursday, February 22, 2007

Web site coming...


Leslie Shelor of Greenberry House.com is doing a web site for me. Why I didn't get this lady to make my web site a long time ago is beyond me. She is a spinner fiber artist whom I admire with a similar lifestyle to mine, although many fewer critters. Most sane people have many fewer critters. I got so excited when she emailed me a sample of the site including a shopping cart that I had to have a little drinky-poo. We are such lightweights here (Matt has been dry for about 14 years) that a sip of wine is all I need for a nice buzzzzzzzzz. I have always been a "cheap date." One drink lasts all night. I still have many ewes poised and ready to give birth any second. A couple of them are my favorites...like Lilly and Myrna and Blue Tag and Moira. Myrna and Moira had problems the last two years. If they don't deliver this week I will be back at work next week. I don't know why I am worried - the majority of them deliver in the middle of the night anyway! My job is so perfect - all professionals who are totally non-demanding as long as you do your job. I think they are amused by the fact that I am a farmer. I thought there would be many more of us up here in Central New York...but we are a dying breed here, too. One has to be landed with equipment to make a farm work, even then it requires skills that so many young people aren't learning, and capital to keep it going. The people in general are just easier to get along with and far less uptight than in NJ. I asked Mia why she thought that is the case and she replied, very matter of factly, they are non-competitive. I pondered that for a moment and realized she is so correct. People in NJ were so consumed with materialistic things for the most part...real estate, decorating, remodeling, clothes, cars, and social things like who you ate lunch with, who you sat with at a pep rally, and who you met after work to hang with...and where you were travelling on break and in the summer. I had a hard time finding someone to eat lunch with...who wanted to talk about sheep and wool? And what a rat race with the highways, and accidents, and crowds. People here are more content with where they are and what they are doing. They are more philosophical about their social and economical status. Their values lie more with doing whatever job you do the best you can do it, whether it be mowing and baling hay, or teaching at an alternative high school. Someone like me who is so devoted to a flock of sheep, a throwback to another time, is accepted and understood...not simply an anachronism. Well, I am going to take my anachronistic self out to check on the new lambs.

1 comment:

Kathy Withers said...

I thought I would let you know that not too many people do what we do anywhere in the US. I have had lots of ou to f state customers tell me that they never get to walk around farms. They go to the big wool shows and buy their fiber there or commercially. I am in Tucson, Arizona, and think 30 degrees is cold. So d0 my goats. Kathy