Saturday, February 03, 2007

Meet Rhonda


Rhonda is my La Mancha dairy goat. Rhonda came to live with us when my good friend and helper, Nathan, told me about her. Rhonda was living behind Nathan's farm in William's Township, Pa., with her owner who didn't like her very much. Rhonda was kept in a small stall in a little barn and was never let outside. There were two other goats living in the barn and the owner said Rhonda did not get along with them. This person told Nathan one too many times that Rhonda was going to the unmentionable place. WELL, Nathan came to me and said please, oh please, buy this goat so she won't be killed. What could I do? I went to visit Rhonda and told her not to worry, she could come to live with us on the farm in New York. Nathan was greatly relieved, and comes to visit Rhonda whenever he has a few days off school and can get a ride up north.

Rhonda has quite a lofty (not snotty) attitude, and I could see why someone would not like her...but I believe a girl has to have a little Attitude to get by in this world - and Rhonda is beautiful enough to get away with it. Rhonda mixes and mingles with the flock, but the sheep and other goats don't get too close. It is not unusual to see Rhonda alone on one side of the hay feeder, and six or eight sheep on the other side!

Rhonda cannot stand to have her head or horns touched. Her horns have been cut off at rather awkward angles. It probably hurt and insulted her. She loves to be scratched on the neck, chest and back. I touch and stroke her alot - she's had a rough time of it but Rhonda is on the Gravy Train now.

I hope Rhonda will bless us with a little one this spring. She looks pregnant, but it might be all the food she has available to eat in her new home. I need her milk to make my Goat Milk Soap, and for us to drink and make cheese and yogurt.

No comments: