Friday, February 23, 2007

Off to Hamilton


Big Daddy and I are taking a ride to Hamilton to put up some handyman signs. It is the last day of my vacation and it will feel like an outing. I am afraid to stay away long as I have a few more ewes with big bags and swollen female parts who look like little hoofs will stick out any second. It is very, very cold and windy today and I am always afraid one of them will wander outside to have their baby in private. That's one danger when you leave the wool on sheep when they are lambing...but mine have stayed inside, thankfully.

Hamilton is the home of Colgate Univ. and very upscale. Just 19 miles over the hill from Brookfield it boasts some cute shops and a college bookstore that rivals anything in New Jersey. I went there frequently last summer when I was living here alone and needed some people contact. It was funny to see the NJ parents flashing trendy clothes and credit cards in the bookstore. I hung out in the Hamilton Whole Foods, a neat health food store with great magazines, pottery and terrific earrings made by Sandy, one of the women who works there. I can get a falafell pita with yogurt sauce and wash it down with homemade ginger ale. Last time I had falafell that good it was in the parking lot of one of the last Grateful Dead concerts at Giants Stadium in NJ. Mia and I were going to sew Deadhead dresses to sell in the parking lot before the next show there, then Jerry Garcia died and spoiled everything. I was never a Deadhead but I enjoyed the spirit the surrounded their concerts...and one of my all time favorite groups, Traffic, opened for them on one tour.

Next to the health food store there is a sushi restaurant that is out of this world...Then the high tech sports shop with all the latest skiing and hiking equipment for the yuppie college kids. There was a time I would have lusted after that stuff (Mia just goes limp but knows better than to go inside the door) but now I lust after hay feeders and chute systems.

No comments: