Saturday, February 10, 2007

Dora and Thea Out for a Walk


Saturday morning...cold and sunny, just beautiful. Finally fell asleep after my 3 am barn check and woke up in a panic at 9. Don't know how that happened, but it sure felt good. Scrambled back out to the barn thinking their must be newborns that didn't make any noise I would hear on the monitor but nothing going on. Little twins born day before yesterday doing fine. They are Lizzie and Liam, and although mom is attentive, little Lizzie is becoming dependent on her supplemental bottle. Too much dancing around underneath the teats, while brother Liam nurses vigorously. Lizzie would rather wait for her human to come and take care of her. She's so tiny I am afraid not to supplement, but I confess while lying in bed last night I thought of withholding the bottle to force her to nurse from mom. Let's hope she is nursing when I don't see her.

My prolapse ewe is holding...no signs of labor yet. The baling twine prolapse harness, a miracle of simplicity, did the job. I snip the lower of the two twines crossing over her vulva so a lamb might slip out if I am not there. I will watch her carefully over the weekend.

Will try to get some knitting bags cut out today. I have gorgeous fabric in a pile just waiting for my scissors and the machine. Have to get the tall stock tank in the milk room for our Saturday night bath. Still no hot water in the trailer. The cosmetology students at school took care of my head, but I have to do something about the rest of me...life on the farm!

No comments: