Saturday, February 03, 2007

I Love the Snow!


I moved to the perfect place for someone who loves snow. Brookfield is on the edge of the lake effect snow area of New York. Lake effect snow occurs when the air is colder than the water on the Great Lakes. When the lakes get colder the lake effect snow is gone. Then we just get storms! Just an hour north of here they are riding snowmobiles on the roads, but here we get a gentle dusting almost every day. The road I live on is plowed regularly for the school bus, even though I can count the cars that pass by in a day on the fingers of one hand. I am two miles from route 8 which is always clear.

The sheep love the snow and eat it all the time. It's a giant snow cone for them. We always keep the stock tank filled, although now that lambs are coming I am using a shallow one. I see the sheep outside in the middle of the night, grazing on snow.

I opened the door of the trailer this morning and gasped at the full moon on the four inches that fell last night. No lambs in the wee hours, although the roosters crowed all night long. The lamb monitor picks them up loud and clear!

No comments: