Monday, June 23, 2014

Goodbye Piggies



Scarlett and Sue Ellen have gone to visit Miss Tammy at The Farmer's Place.  They will be coming back to me in many different forms that will sustain us, probably for a year or two.  I knew this time would come but I didn't think it would be complicated by things like Matt being hospitalized, no trailer hitch to pull them, etc.  Appointment after appointment had to be postponed.  Mary and Robert Jordan came to the rescue.  They hauled their horse trailer over here and helped me build chutes from the barn to the truck.  We set it up for yesterday after I got home from visiting Matt.  The girls were right where I wanted them to be and I thought they would be cooperative.  No deal.  They wouldn't be coaxed into that trailer for love or warm slop.  Robert was so patient and kind.  He said he would leave his truck and trailer here and perhaps they would go in by themselves.  No way.  I woke up early and found them sleeping in the hay mow, the way they do, like spoons.  So lovely.  I called Mary and we went to Plan B.   I put down a giant pan of warm corn slop and left for work.  Robert and his brother came to the farm and sent them to heaven before they knew what was happening.  It was less stressful than a trailer ride down the road.   They took them to Miss Tammy, who will work her magic and in two weeks I will have more food than I know what to do with.  Well, yes, I know what to do with it, but first I have to buy a very large freezer.  I've already spoken to Kyra Toful of New Berlin for more piggies.  I can't say enough about the Tamworths.  The girls were sweet as can be until they got too big to contain and went into heat.  They needed a boyfriend or a freezer.  I loved raising them and never begrudged mixing two buckets of slop twice a day.  No pigs were ever more spoiled or free to roam over 50 beautiful, lush acres during their short lives.  Sure do miss them.  Now they are a part of the ever-growing historical drama of Maggie's Farm.  

No comments: