Friday, June 13, 2014

Big Girls

Very wet couple of days.  I have a back log of dyed fiber to dry.  I fed Scarlett and Sue Ellen in the rain this morning.  I sometimes sit down and watch them eat, but not in the rain.  They didn't seem to mind as they are very focused on their meals.  I have fed them the same amount since they were babies - a bucket of slop each morning and night - and look how they have grown.  It's time for them to go to Miss Tammy but with Matt still so crippled and with the trailer hitch broke off my blazer I don't know what to do.  I'm waiting for the other Maggie to come up with a solution.  She always does, sooner or later so I'm not going to worry about it.  I hope in the case of the piggies it is sooner.  I was coming down the hay mow ladder last night and both girls were standing underneath me making loud, primal, pig squeals and screams.  I had fed them their dinner, as I always do, before everyone else so they leave me alone.  Apparently they thought I had gone up there to find something else for them to eat.  I could almost step on their backs, one leg on each pig, and ride around the barn like a circus performer.  They must weigh 4 or 500 pounds each.  They wait for me to come out of the house and try to beat me to the milk room where I mix their slop.  One of these days they are going to break down the milk room door when I'm not home and I'll find them lying on their sides, unable to move, from having consumed all the cracked corn I have.

.  Life on the farm is never dull.

No comments: