Sunday, March 10, 2013

Tax Time

What was that about death and taxes????  I called "Uncle Darryl" (he doesn't know I call him that) and asked for an appointment on the weekend.  Trying not to be absent from school if I can help it.  He said yes and I got the numbers together.  Darry Lanning is a retired business teacher in Oxford. Gretchen and Laurie at school hooked me up with him.  He's a great guy and never blinks at my crazy life style or accounting methods.  He just tries to keep my head above water and out of trouble.  God knows I need all the help I can get.  NY State requires me to make 10K on my farm or I can't be a farm.  New Jersey only requires $500 - go figure!  Anyway, it's always a stressful time.  Much hand wringing and tearing out of hair, but I got there on time with my scratch pad in hand.  Darryl always puts me at ease.  On the way home I stopped at Le Maison Blanc Bakery for some self medicating.  Oh, those kiwi custard tarts are good.  Brought some home for Matt but they never made it.   Got more apples for Lilly and the old girls too.  I figured since I had just womaned up and did my taxes I could take it a step further and stop at Mrs. B's Warehouse in Norwich on the way home.  I scored a neat nylon spring raincoat with zip out wool lining,  a lovely lambswool bathlounging/ robe, two $5 suede jackets which I intend to cut up and make hand bags out of,  and a pot to melt my beeswax when I make hand creme.   Motored home in the loveliest weather.   Started straight away on picking a beautiful but filthy black mohair fleece. Took a good 2-3 hours but watched documentary on Chaco Canyon which was excellent.  Beautiful glossy locks felted together with much chaff.  My tendonitis is healed sufficiently so that I can pull locks apart.  It takes much pulling and yanking but worth it.  When I don't get the mohair off the animals in time this is what happens.  Wool has much more longevity on the animal than mohair.   I put some wet wool out on the drying rack but the glorious sunshine was not quite enough to get it dry today.  I had picked a  black lambswool fleece and got it cooking in purple RIT dye before I left for the accountant and got that washed.  It's drying in the house with the heat of the wood stove now.  I am backed up with wet fiber to dry again.  If it's nice tomorrow I'll try again outside.  Matt consented to hold a young angora buck for me tonight so I could get his mohair.  Gosh, it's so soft and lovely.  I got it off him just in time.  Just my luck spouse tossed a giant fork full of hay down the hole right on top of him tonight.  Took an hour to pick it out in front of the TV.  Will dye it blue and blend it with some chartreuse wool.  Am trying to duplicate a previous run but don't think it will be the same.  Always a challenge for me to duplicate a run of roving as I only use my own fiber or Kim's angora.  I figure she's part of my organization so don't consider it my fiber too.   I don't always have the same amounts of fiber or dyes on hand.  Do what I can.  It's getting into the wee hours now and I think I will put this box of mohair up high so no kitties or dogs can get into it and call it a day.  I my really have to break off from the Fiber Fanaticism to do more soapmaking and sewing.  I do tend to get on a jag and run with it but that's how I get things done.  Think I'll make some Lemon Ginger Tea and call it a day.  Wait a minute - lost an hour tonight. I told the sheep to hold on, spring is on the way, even though it's 36 in the barn tonight.  Little "Guy" had his sweater folded up on his back tonight and I was worried.  I guess Mom was smooching with him and pushed it up.  I hate to step in their pen with dirty boots.  I checked on them later and he was snuggled in with Mom looking very contented.  No shivering at all.   The design of  my lamb sweater  with a turtleneck and the chest covering along with the back flap keeps babies covered and warm quite nicely.  Good night all.

No comments: