Sunday, March 17, 2013

Clear and Cold

Time for nighty night.  Clear and cold outside with a lovely waxing crescent moon nestled in between two bright stars.    I confess I'm liking this cold weather that keeps fleas and flies at bay.  I like turtlenecks and sweaters and a glowing wood fire.  Not for long, but that's okay too.  I need the green grass for my  sheep.   Speaking of sheep, I shipped their gifts to the carding mill today.  Another 35 pounds of "Pacifica' in lovely shades of sky blue, turquoise, apple green, moss green and purple.  Very soft Bluefaced Leicester, Merino and kid mohair.  Should spin like buttah.  This run makes 90 pounds of dyed fiber done for spring shows.  I'm going to leave it at that for now.  There is something very special about working with fiber you raise yourself.  I tell people it can be compared to a potter scraping her clay from the banks of a stream running through her land instead of buying it from an art supply house.  You are taking your craft to the base level.  My sheep are not raised for meat and will never know the terror of an auction.  There is something special about that, too. I'd like to spin and felt some of last years wool, and then there's the totes to sew.  I have about a dozen Bundaflicka totes cut out and ready to sew.  I like to have a few ready to go for nights after chores.  I can be very productive at night when the animals are quiet and I still have a little left in me.  Nine more days and I'll have some time off for Easter break.  Oh, what a joy.  The wonderful thing about the teaching profession is that whenever you are hanging by a thread and feel like letting go you have a break to fall back and regroup.  It's very late and I better nod off.  Morning will come too soon.  

No comments: