Monday, March 11, 2013

Hopping


The day flew by.  We had two classes of "little kids" and finished our hanging fish and kelp.  Custodians took our ladder away.  Good thing the tables can hold a hefty teacher.  We also made cartoon sheep portraits with cotton balls.  Adorable.  The little ones are not proving to be difficult at all.  If one has a problem one of the aides pulls him out of the room so as not to interrupt the art lesson.  We are starting our Art Supplies Fund Raising Project with the high school classes and it's going nicely so far.  We are sewing canvas shopping bags with the universal recycle logo on them - think arrows going around in a circle.  We looked at many logos - I wanted a green and blue earth logo - but found them too difficult for most kids to manage.  The recycle arrows are perfect.  We have some lovely, sturdy canvas donated to us by Alan Rock-Blake who operated his own hand bag business - Smart Duck Bags - with his wife before they both went into academia.   Currently, our only working sewing machine is a donated Brother which sounds like a Tommy gun when sewing.  People love to give us machines but there are usually reasons why they give them away.  We don't have sewing machine repair in our budget.  If only my clever spouse would take an interest in learning how to keep sewing machines running I would be so grateful, but I won't get my hopes up.   Our nice young new principal is working on Alan R.B. to donate a couple of his sewing machines that are now sitting dormant.  On the farm front - I shipped two runs - total 56 pounds - of beautiful Bluefaced Leicester, angora and kid mohair fiber to the carding mill.   Can't wait to see it carded.  I am definitely in a orangey/magenta/chartreuse mood lately.  I have more fiber to combine with other colors for the new version of Pacifica I'm working, but I have to break away to sew and make soap.  The fibers are hypnotic and consuming and I love them, but Maryland is a spring show and people are not thinking wool as much as they do in the fall at Rhinebeck.  

No comments: