Friday, December 21, 2012

Solstice

Now we begin the long journey back to the light.  I love the cyclical nature of teaching.  It goes so nicely with the seasons.  The pall that was hanging over my school from the Newtown shooting and death of our head custodian was somewhat lifted today with teachers and students running around delivering their little gifts of gadgets and goodies.  My presents were ready to go, but I had to put them in a laundry basket and cover it with a plastic garbage bag.  The cold rain was coming down hard and I had to get a bunch of stuff out to the truck.  I had several grocery bags of things I needed to make another batch of egg nog, too.  Luckily I was able to drop it all off on the sidewalk by the school door, and was pleasantly surprised to see two of my GED students coming out to pick it up and carry it down the long corridor and two flights of stairs to our wing.  My aircast, which consists of two pieces of plastic with a cushion inside and velcro straps, is a miracle invention.  I still need to spend some time with my foot up, and it doesn't happen much in school.  Hopefully tonight.  We had a special ed. buffet lunch with contributions from teachers and aides.  My baked ziti was only half consumed which worried me at first but I was glad to bring something home for dinner.  Our egg nog was better today as we whipped the egg whites stiff before adding the yolks and spices.  I kept thinking how wonderful it would be to have a little whiskey to spike it, but I don't need that kind of trouble.  Good bye to students then off to do a little shopping at McLaughlin's in Norwich.  I love this store as it is small enough not to overwhelm me and has a good selection of clothes and shoes.  The clerk even wrapped my purchases for me.  I visited the Chenango SPCA to give a donation on behalf of Kent K. and said hello to the doggies.  Every one of the 7 or 8 came over to say hello to me.  They had some beautiful, loving dogs in need of homes.  A family stopped in to deliver bags of dog food and kitty litter to the Christmas tree in the lobby.  It was very heartwarming and I vowed to do more for them.   Home after a stop at the New Berlin PO to say hello to my exhausted clerk friend, Mark, and a milk stop at Stewart's.  Oh, yes, a kitty can stop at Dollar General too.  These stops make my commute home interminably long but when I'm home I'm home.   The roads were icy in the dark but the doggies were overjoyed to see me.  I'm so tired but I got the stove going,  coffee made and ziti warming in the oven.  Maybe I'll steal some time to put this ankle up before chores.   So much to do this solstice day, with our departure for Portland and the kiddies day after tomorrow.  Loren Wildenstein is on duty, a very capable farmer who has painted my barn and worked for me before.  Excited about seeing my family.

No comments: