Thursday, December 06, 2012

18 F.

There are many hungry sheep and goats out there waiting for me.  It's seven am and I should have been out there a half hour ago.  I'm all suited up for the cold, which I am not quite used to yet, with a giant cup of very strong coffee half consumed looking at me.  The lamb bottles are made, the inside doggies put out and brought back in, the little kittens fed, and I got a good night's sleep.  But I'm dragging.  Winter is tough on shepherds, dairy people, and anyone who raises livestock.  I have to be back inside and in the tub in a half hour, then on the road to school.  Wait, do I have gas?  What the heck and I going to wear today?  Yet I linger.  Anybody got a pin I can stick myself with?  Oh, yes, remember the rolling pin for the salt dough Christmas ornaments I'm making in school.   Gotta get this fog out of my head and deal with it.  33 round bales left in the mow.    Will I make it?  Probably until February.  Better find more hay now while the elevator is not drifted over.  These and other questions will swim around my head while I drag the hose around and climb the two ladders to either end of the barn.  Better get to it.  Have a great day everybody.

1 comment:

Jody said...

I go every Saturday (everyday that I can when lambs are due) to the Farm to look after the sheep and yes this cold makes it suck as my hands are always freezing.
I cannot imagine what you do every single day by yourself. You are Superwoman!