Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Post Office

I'm getting my orders out on time this year - a good feeling.  Not that I get that many, but receive enough from grateful patrons to make me feel loved and appreciated.  Every dime goes to the farm..  I use free boxes from the post office - they are good sturdy boxes - and wrap my soap, yarn and creme in newspaper to keep expenses down.  I like the idea of recycling the paper and people might find something interesting to read when they open the package.  My box is in Brookfield, but I drive through New Berlin going to and from work and use the little post office there.  I love the way we are on a first name basis with our postal people out here.  Mark helps me every day, except today, when I met Rebecca Bates at the counter.  She is the new post master in New Berlin.  Rebecca said she smelled my boxes, then recognized me as the person who approached her with my grand kids at the Otsego County Fair last summer.  Luke was interested in milking a cow and when we figured out we are close neighbors I asked if we could come over and milk a cow.  Rebecca said sure, come on over, but when we went nobody was there.  I thought something must have come up and I found out today that the family had to rush back to the fair to tend to an animal.  She invited me to bring Luke back for milking the next time he comes to visit, which I surely will.  Rebecca also asked if I would sell my soap at her farm stand when it's ready.  I would be delighted.  I've got the cold apartment warmed up nicely with the wood stove burning brightly and lasagna in the oven.  I think I'll get a head start on chores tonight.  If I don't keep busy the eyes start to droop a bit.  My day at school was uneventful until the very end when it didn't matter anyway after having a good day.  I took my students to Price Chopper for kitchen supplies and had a lot of fun.  The boys pushed the cart - and we're talking about 18 - 20 year olds - and found everything on our list, and a few more.  We went over our purchase order so I bought them Entenmann's eclairs and fruit punch.  Figured I came out ahead because I was going to take them out to lunch but they were so excited about the pastries that's all they wanted.  We headed back to school and the boys hauled everything in.  We're sewing Christmas stockings from fabric sent to me by Carol Crayonbox.  I brought in some checked wool for lining.  They're coming along better than I anticipated, with students who I never thought would approach a sewing machine sitting down to sew.  A Christmas miracle to be sure...

No comments: