Friday, September 24, 2010

Sensory Overload


I adore this time of year in the mountains of upstate New York. It starts slowly then suddenly the hills are ablaze with color. My commute is breathtaking with one gorgeous vista after another. Vermont has nothing on this area, except for more ski areas and money from tourism. I am busier than ever with preparing for winter, making product to pay for keeping the sheep (and us) alive over the winter, and getting myself to work and keeping people satisfied with me there. Whenever I feel stressed I start my chores and get busy. I particularly enjoy working with the pigs lately. I know pigs are in my DNA from my Georgia people. They are astonishingly beautiful animals who give so much in return for very little care. The ducks are so much fun and I'm still giving them showers with the hose and picking greens for them. I'm concerned about what to do with them over the winter. I need to find a safe, protected place for them in the barn before their outside pen freezes over with ice and snow. The wild chickens do fine in the winter, riding around on the backs of the sheep to keep their feet warm. I don't think my ducks can manage that with their big, webbed feet. I'll deal with it soon enough, along with all the other challenges every day and every season brings on Maggie's Farm.

No comments: