Monday, September 27, 2010

No Walk Today


No walking in my lovely meadow behind the barn today. It's raining and will continue through tomorrow. We got poor Loki out of the barn in pieces last night. Thankfully I had rubber gloves and my lavender Shepherd's Friend hand creme worked great to clog up my nostrils. Everyone who wants to raise livestock should experience this horrible aspect of farming. They don't always die where or when you want them to. When they die in the winter at least they are frozen. We piled him on a tarp and dragged him out of the barn and up the hill a bit. Here is where a tractor with a front loader would come in handy to get him up to the dead pile. It's a huge, heavy lift to get him up to the bed of the F150. That's on the schedule for tonight. The coyotes will be thrilled with this big, fat carcass. I'm headed to pick up my donated sewing machines at the Bullthistle Rag Rug enterprise that is being discontinued by Opportunities for Chenango. Too bad, as they were teaching the unemployed, homeless and disenfranchised how to weave rugs. They told me the machines were given to them and might not be in working order so I won't get my hopes up. Soapmaking hopefully will happen tonight depending on what I find when I get home. I cross my fingers every time I pull in the driveway.

No comments: