Saturday, September 25, 2010

Get Going


Have to get going to make it to the Louis Gale Feed Mill in Waterville by noon, or else I am in deep doo-doo. Totally out of pig slop and egg-layer. I try not to run out but the mill, where I pay half the price of local feed stores, is out of the way and I'm always trying to get home to the critters. I woke up with a sick headache and had to lay back down and let the coffee and ibuprofen do it's job. Now is the time when I get sick. I do fine with all kinds of poop, slime, mold, blood and guts on the farm. When I go back to school with the Skraelings who spew mucous and bacteria all over everything I get sick. I CAN NOT be sick!! Hundreds of creatures are depending on me. I think this will pass. Gorgeous weather out there. Matt called from Saratoga to say the vendor next to him bought a bag straight off. She said she hesitated last year and her bag got sold and was not going to let it happen again. Her husband has been out of work and his unemployment ran out six months ago but she just had to have her bag. I'm humbled and inspired by this kind of testimony. Bad news and good news - Opportunities for Chenango has closed down their weaving studio because funds ran out and they just couldn't sustain the program by selling rag rugs. They have four sewing machines they want to donate to my class. The wife of the man who runs the program works at BOCES. She sold me her old machine last year for $20 worth of Shepherd's Friend hand creme and saw what I did with my students and sewing tote bags. Now I have four more machines to work with. I'll pick them up with my truck on Monday after school. Hope they are in good shape. I'm feeling very fortunate and gratified right now.

No comments: