Sunday, June 16, 2013

Goodbye Kay

  I was derailed late Friday night when I learned of the death of a fiber artist/shepherd friend, Kay ten Kraft, in Berlin, New York.    Kay had embarked on a walking program and was out on her road around six o'clock in the rain when a young man hit  and killed her.   We are almost the same age, with children, grandchildren, many animals, and a love of life that cannot be suppressed by any calamity that may befall us - save the Grim Reaper.  A senseless tragedy like this makes me question the love of God, but I have learned in my old age that God does not "let" things like this happen. God is sad when terrible things happen to us, but God gives us free will and, with that free will,  we have ecstacy and agony.  Kay leaves behind a large extended family and many friends.  We kept in touch on line but the last time I saw her in the flesh was when she came excitedly into my booth at Rhinebeck, looking fabulous as she lost a lot of weight, to tell me she had a fantastic show and wanted to buy another Bundaflicka tote.   Kay was one of the few people who understand what I am all about. We fiber people are a small enclave of rural society.  Kay was talented, honest, and full of infectious energy.  I know I will meet her on the other side, and we'll  tell farm stories, like the time her silo fell down in a storm and spooked her LGD who ran away.  Kay hiked far and wide, tracked that dog, and wouldn't stop until it was home safe and sound.  We'll knit together and trade stories about our grandchildren.   Until then, I will keep raising these critters and making yarn.  Kay would understand.

1 comment:

karen said...

I was a friend of Kay's for 45 years, and we saw each other when we could and spoke often. I read this post shortly after she was taken from us, and it has taken me this long to respond to you...

Kay absolutely loved your bags and spoke so highly about you and your craft. I can just see her and hear her in your post. we were all lucky to know her. i thought you would want to know.
Karen