Thursday, June 28, 2012

Sorry Monkey

As Hannah, Luke and I started chores I noticed something protruding from Monkey's female end.  It looked like a birth bubble, but deflated and not quite right.  I asked the kids to hold her horns and head for me so I could examine her.  I hated to do it but knew if something was wrong in there I better go in and deal with it.  I prepped up and went in to find a small dead fetus, already partially expelled.  The rest did not come easily but finally the whole little body was out of her.  Poor Monkey, she kept asking me where her baby was.  I don't think there is another one in there.  I gave her a cracked corn treat and flake of hay, and let her go out in the field where she could nibble on thistles and get her mind off her baby.  I still have John-John, Monkey's handsome blue-eyed son out of my gorgeous Tommy Boy.  I think Monkey is retired.  Luke is completely recovered from the experience.  Hannah was really feeling sorry for Monkey and said later "I keep thinking about Monkey and what she must be feeling."  So sweet...

2 comments:

Cornerstone Fibres said...

So sorry to hear about Monkey -hugs to all -hope things get better!
HUGS
Kim and the crew

Henya said...

Poor Monkey. Hugs.
Henya.