Monday, December 27, 2010

Blizzard



I'm not sure exactly what constitutes a blizzard, but it sure looks and feels like it right now. The wind roared all night, shaking the empty hay mow above me, and causing the hay mow elevator door to bang, bang, bang. I slept like a log for five hours, then made myself get up and get out for a barn check. No lambs yet. Glad I pushed everyone to the inner barn and put up a barricade. I normally leave the barn open as the sheep like to go outside and eat snow, but not with this storm going on. I stoked the wood stove which was not a good idea. Even with the updraft fan Matt installed on the stove pipe I'm getting down drafts. Eyes are burning and tearing, causing me to open the window a crack to let the icy wind in to help the draft. Kind of defeats the purpose of having the stove. If I have to rely on electric and the power goes out I am in deep doo-doo. I better go fill up all the water buckets just in case. AJ is still here and I'll ask him to help me build jugs and cover the remaining broken windows with plastic today. Doesn't look good for Mia coming. She was called in to the hospital to work for people who couldn't get in due to impassable roads. Living a mile away is definitely an asset, if she can get that far. We planned to spend three days addressing wedding invitations and starting work on the bridesmaids black velvet capelets. Fingers crossed for tomorrow but if this wind keeps up I don't want her tiny little Hyundai getting blown all over the road. Better have another cuppa Joe and ruminate on all this.

No comments: