Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Bargain Box


The Bargain Box is the "thrift boutique" operated by the Women's Association of Morristown Memorial Hospital. I confess I never frequented it years ago when I lived about a mile away from it. I went to the Junior League thrift shop which is no longer in business, I believe. What is it about the lure of the gently used clothing shop that I find appealing? Is it the fact that these items have a history I always wonder about? Who wore this classy garment and why in the world would they surrender such a fabulous item when it's still good? Are they so well off they just buy new things whenever they wish? Did someone die and the family cleaned out the closet? There's a sense of mystery to a thrift shop. The ladies do a nice job of running this boutique. Nothing smells like cigarettes and most of the clothes have designer labels. I've been there twice in a month and am thrilled with both stops. I am wearing the never-used Dansko clogs I bought there yesterday for $15. They are patent leather black and will serve as my Christmas party shoes. There was another pair I picked up for Mia, size 38, dull black and perfect for nursing duty. I'm a little shy about buying gifts for others from a thrift shop, but Mia is totally on board with bargain shopping. I am set for the winter with long coats, jackets and slacks for a pittance. Thank you, Bargain Box ladies.

No comments: