Thursday, November 20, 2008

Iced Over


Came home from work to find everything still frozen in the barn. It doesn't get warm enough during the day to thaw. I give the bunners their water in dishes now, twice a day. They are even more thirsty when it's cold. The giant stock tank freezes into a solid block. I have to buy a floater. We carry water to the back of the barn for the boys and the piggies...lots of walking while bending over with heavy loads. The pigs are so funny. Have to feed them more than I'm giving them as they are screaming for food when I bring them their slop twice a day. They drink the warm, creamy mixture then lie down on the hay, dizzy with satisfaction. Holly and Izzy run up and down in front of their pen, playing games with the piggies. Izzy could squeeze through and get in with them, but I hope he doesn't as he might become piggie dinner. I'll buy them some pumpkins from Homestead Feed on pay day. There are plenty of pumpkins rotting in fields around here but I'm not crazy about scraping them up off the ground on someone's property. Deer hunters everywhere...just my luck I'd get my head blown off. I have not heard all that much shooting this year. Western NJ was like a war zone during hunting season. I had a bullet hole through the bird feeder on my porch! I guess there is much more room for the hunters to spread out here in CNY. Out of hay as of tomorrow. Talked to Farmer Simmonds about starting pick ups this weekend - just what I thought I would be able to avoid this year. "Lake Effect" snow falling now, pretty little flakes that make the land look like its lightly dusted with sugar. Four inches more tonight.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Wow, 4 inches of snow...I hope you can get the hay in before too much falls. Your goat has glorious horns!