Monday, November 24, 2008

Back to the Farm



After taking AJ to the train so he could get back to the seminary in NYC, Matt and I went to Mia's apartment to get a few hours sleep. We needed to get up at 4 am Monday morning to get back in time for work. Guess who didn't set the alarm correctly. I woke up when the recycling truck upended the can of bottles in front of the apt. To my horror, it was 5:30. Matt got a shower while I made coffee. I was not in such great shape, and there was no time to take me back to the farm. Matt had a 10 am appointment with some "state officials" who were coming from Albany to his training center to talk about weatherization funding, etc. I had to go to Syracuse with him, then drive back to the farm. Candace had taken terrific care of everybody and gone to work at Hamilton Whole Foods. I had to lie down (old ladies shouldn't party quite so heartily) and take it easy before chores. Got some shut eye, then hayed the sheep and fed the piggies. Matt's boss took him as far as Barnes and Noble in New Hartford and I picked him up there. Snowing hard on the way home from there. Don't know what we'll face in the morning commute. So many happy wedding memories. I saw people I worked with THIRTY years ago at Morristown Memorial Hospital, and parents of Mia and AJ's friends. Some of us have aged well, some of us haven't. So much water under the bridge. It was wonderful for me to be with them, like a ride in a time machine. Matt and I NEVER go out to party like this. Too bad, it was so much fun, even if I was seeing double.

No comments: