Thursday, November 13, 2008

Cold, Rainy, Dark


It's time to go home and almost dark in the middle of the afternoon. The newly renovated school is bright, clean and as HOT as you could possibly want it. I wear sweaters in the winter and like the classrooms cool. I sneak around turning down thermostats. The kids have on layers of hooded sweats so why should they mind? When they complain about coming to school I tell them they are lucky to have a place to come to which is warm, dry, well-lit, with (in many cases) free food and treats from teachers. They don't agree. The year I lived in that freezing trailer I was sure happy to come here. I went to bed late last night. With taking AJ to the train station and doing chores for a couple of hours, I didn't have my dose of "quiet time" on the sofa with the doggies. I had posted a blog that didn't last longer than a couple of hours. That's my M.O. Post my stream-of-consciousness then think better of myself and erase the whole thing. I despise whiners and I do plenty of whining. So when you see a post which is particularly revealing of my real feelings, don't wait to read as it will probably disappear. School was pretty good today. I enjoy the people I work with. They are larger than life with their complex personalities. It's like living a soap opera and I'm a cast member. I go to lunch in the cafeteria because I have duty there the period after. I sat down with a girl whose friends dissed her today because she didn't have the money to pitch in for ordering a pizza. We ate lunch together and had a nice conversation. I heard all about her family and their troubles, which I can't repeat. She thanked me for not letting her sit alone, and I thanked her for the company. I've known this girl for two years but we connected today and it felt good. Teaching is all about connections. Loren and Andrew are coming tonight to help with chores. I think we'll clean out the bunny cages so the bunners don't have to sit on the cold, clammy poop pack. It's miserable to keep angora rabbit cages clean. Every strand of hair works to prevent the manure from falling through to the floor. We'll see how the guys endure this challenge...hope they still want to work for me.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

I do the same thing. I write my post out, filled with woes and complaints, then think better of it and delete. That's really not what I'm about, so why create something that I don't want to be?

On a lighter note, who has that soft little nose poking through the fence there in the photo?