Tuesday, March 04, 2008

What's on the Wheel?


I'm plying some very soft Bluefaced Leicester/angora with some not quite as soft but very glossy mohair I harvested from my goats before we moved here. My fiber has not been as lustrous as I would like since I moved here. I attribute the luster I once had to the fabulous organic hand-mixed-on-the-farm grain I was giving my flock. It looked like you could pour milk on it and eat it like granola. Last year I gave them pelleted feed from the local mill here in CNY, but it was just not the same. I felt sorry for the sheep. This year we are getting by with only grass hay, and have had fewer lambing problems, but the sheep and goats are hungry all the time. What changes they have been through. I keep telling them next year will be better, next year will be better. I tell myself the same thing.

No comments: