Sunday, March 02, 2008

Two Handed Knitting


I've wanted to try two handed knitting for a long time, ever since I met the Ann and Eugene Bourgeouis of Philosopher's Wool at Md. Sheep and Wool. They are the coolest "older" couple (about my age!) who tried raising their own sheep, then started using local wool for their yarn company. I bought the video and book, then lost it when I moved. They have the most amazing sweater patterns, although the wool is a little course for me. Someone on-line mentioned there is a video clip of the two-handed method on their web site. I checked it out and there it was. It's lots of fun, but I still have to practice. Ann always uses a circular needle. The left hand knits Continental style, the right hand English (throwing the yarn.) I tried it with my handspun and some ribbon yarn. The back is woven and looks lovely, and the front is really pretty. The knitted piece is thicker and sturdier, which is how two handed knitting, or Fair Isle, started in the first place. I have to find my Philosopher's Wool Video in the tractor shed - like looking for a needle in a hay stack, or buy another one used. We'll see...in the meantime I'm having fun playing with this new method of knitting.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

I don't understand the method. I understand what you're saying about one hand uses continental and the other throws English, but how is the cast on? Could you post the link to their website?

Maggie's Farm said...

Sure - it's www.philosopherswool.com. I think they changed the tutorial video to one where you can purchase a DVD from them! You cast on the same way, then I just tied on the second strand. I know, I know, I'm still working it out...but it's so much fun! You should try it, Kathleen!