Friday, May 10, 2013

Svenska Flickas

I had some visitors to my booth from Lancaster Pennsylvania.  They saw the Swedish flag on my farm sign and spoke a few words of Swedish to me for fun.  Turns out they are raising Gotland sheep - a Swedish sheep just becoming popular in this country.  I went over to visit their Gotlands and am very impressed.  I usually buy myself one present at each festival as a reward for my hard work.  This year it was a bag of Gotland yarn!  I gave Annie a skein to knit a pair of Swedish wool socks for Eric, and a couple of skeins to Kimmie Cornerstone to knit myself and herself a pair.  The yarn is strong and lustrous with the most incredible sheen.  The Svenska Flickas said they would gladly sell me a large percentage Gotland ram for $1,000.  They are very rare in this country.  My Bluefaced Leicesters are an excellent "foundation" breed to start a new flock with.  I've heard of a flock in New Jersey.  In the meantime I'll enjoy knitting with this incredibly beautiful Gotland yarn.

No comments: