Thursday, May 23, 2013

Rainy

Hot and humid yesterday, broke out the shorts.  It was 20 F. not two weeks ago.  Glad my new babies were born in the warmer weather.  Instead of putting sweaters on them I was worried about them not getting enough fresh air.  Yesterday's black mama is still very protective of the tiny new twins, and I've seen them both nursing.  I got my hand on one of their bellies today after work, to check for fullness, with mom making a clucking sound that means get away from my kids.  I obliged.  I was thrilled to see reluctant white mama who gave birth on Saturday letting one of her twins, the doe kid,  nurse.   The last few days of keeping  her milk flowing paid off!  Her little buck gets all excited when he sees me coming with the bottle.  What a cutie he is with those blue eyes.  I love these little angora goat kids.  Lambs are delightful but there is something so endearing about these curly cuties.  Goat babies love to cuddle, unlike lambs who would rather have four hooves on the ground - or in the air, bounding around the pasture or running "chariot races" in the barn with their lamb pals.   One more angora goat to give birth - a smallish black doe, first time mother.   Fingers crossed this one goes okay.   Little Maya, sister to Cinco, born May 5 when I was on the way  back from Maryland with Kim, is coming along.  She's still a little woozy, but is standing much more and baaing to me when she sees me coming with the bottle.   I have to pick her up to nurse, or she would be content to take a few sips and leave it at that, becoming weak with hunger.  In my arms with one hand under her chin and the other holding the bottle I can get her to take half of it.  I want her to grow big and strong like her brother.  Mom wants out of the pen and I don't blame her.  I don't dare let little Maya out in the pasture.  She's just not ready.  This is what shepherds do - take care of everybody regardless of the inconvenience and trouble. Protect the weak and give succor to the needy, then rejoice when they no longer need you.  Raining again tonight.  So grateful for my big strong barn during the last few nights of wild weather, but then, I always am.

1 comment:

Paula @ Mount Koenig said...

Hello! I have enjoyed browsing your site on this rainy day. I am a dairy farmer, wife and mother and am always looking for new ways to add to our farm. Fiber animals have always fascinated me. I was hoping to attend the fiber festival in June at Boukville. Will your farm be there? Your photos are beautiful and the vistas familiar as our farm is just north of West Winfield.
Mountkoenig@gmail.com